Follow me on Pinterest

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Two-Tone Banister Update


Not such a huge fan of oak so I covered my old Banister with two colors of paint.  I started sanding this baby down thinking I was going to stain it like my cabinets, but it was taking way to long!  I saw an ad in the mail that inspired me to paint it with these two different colors.  These colors go great in my home.  They match my kitchen cabinets, kitchen table, bar stools, and chairs perfectly.  I have the two-tone chairs and bar-stools so I love the look this adds to the kitchen.

You'll need:
-1 quart dark (really dark) brown interior paint
-1 quart black interior paint
-paint brush
-fairly small paint brush
-Mineral Spirits
-Kilz oil based primer
-paint tape
-1 quart Polyurethane finish

Start by taping off your banister. Apply 2-3 coats of the Kilz oil based primer.  When you're done with the primer you'll need to pull out the Mineral Spirits and soak your brush in it to clean it out.


With a smaller brush, paint a couple of coats of the black paint onto the top and bottom edges of the Spindles in your Banister.  Now, apply 2 coats to the middle of the Spindles so they are completely covered.


Apply 3 coats of your dark brown paint to the rest of the Banister.  When dry, cover everything with your Polyurethane finish.  It's a good idea to apply about 5-6 coats on the spots you'll touch quite often.


I love the way this turned out!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment