Follow me on Pinterest

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Snow White Toddler Swim Suit Cover Up


I've seen other Disney Princess cover-ups and loved the idea of them, but not exactly the design of them.  So I came up with one that I thought fit what I had in mind.  A more authentic copy cat to the original Princess' dress. 

To start off I got some towels in the colors which closely matched the Princess' Dress.  The white and light blue towels were not used for the Snow White cover-up, I am going to make a Cinderella cover-up next with those two colors.  So needed for the Snow White cover-up you'll need a bright yellow, dark red, and navy blue full size towel.  Also, a yellow ribbon.

Cut two pieces matching the picture below.  I copied the size from a 2T sized shirt.  Sew these two pieces together along the dotted lines.


Cut out 4 pieces that look similar to the blue piece below and 10 pieces similar to the red piece.  Sew 2 sets of 2 blue pieces together to form a sleeve along the dotted lines.  Heat seal and sew 5 red pieces onto each sleeve.  

Pin and sew the sleeves onto the first piece you sewed. 

I sewed my red pieces on after I attached the sleeves.  But I think it would be faster, and easier, to sew them on before the sleeve is attached to the upper piece to the cover-up.

Cut a 5 inch slit down the back of the cover-up.  I cut off the bottom 2 inches of the towel so you have a clean sewn edge and attached it to the slits edges.  

Sew a 1/4" hem at the edge of each sleeve and add a 1/4" thick stretchy band so you create a poofy sleeve look.

...poofy sleeve.

Down the front middle of the cover-up sew a yellow ribbon.

Sew a piece of the other end of the towel to the top neck area.  

Using a 2T dress size, eye how long you want the cover-up to be.  Mine was about 20" wide and 22" tall.  I wanted it to be long.  Pin and sew the yellow bottom to the top piece.  While pinning, gather the yellow in a few different spots to pull in the extra width.  

I have a hand machine to put these plastic snaps onto material.  I believe I got it from Joanns for about $26.00.

And you have your finished product.




No comments:

Post a Comment